I said I'd never again buy a 30 year old car...

Discuss eveything else here. Just try to keep it somewhat clean.

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

I said I'd never again buy a 30 year old car...

Postby SeanDotson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:11 pm

..after I got rid of my Corvette. So I bought a 25 year old truck. :)

It's a 1987 Suzuki Samurai hard top (aka a tin top) which are actually quite rare. The guy did a lot of work to it but it had a fuel pickup problem at speed, so he let it go for a song. It's got a carb so there are only a few things that could be wrong with it. I drove it home at 35 mph for 4.5 hours (should have been a 2:15 hr trip at normal speeds).

The plan is to tow it behind the RV so that we can go exploring a bit more when camping. It's actually quite a capable little 4x4.

cbliss
MCAD Expert

Re: I said I'd never again buy a 30 year old car...

Postby cbliss » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Another possibility is a collapsed fuel hose. I have seen that happen a couple of times. The modern fuel formulations have been known to attack the rubber and allow it to separate from the outer lining of the hose. As gas is being sucked through, it constricts to where only a little fuel gets through. If that is the case, it is a cheap fix. Is that Max in the passenger seat? Looks like he is having fun.

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes that's Max. He was rather excited (and is a total ham when the camera comes out).

These models had a problem with the pickup line in the tank rusting as well. I'm sure it's an easy fix whatever it is.

nickdavy
MCAD Addict

Postby nickdavy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 am

That looks in good shape for a 1987, I guess your climate helps.

I recently decided to enjoy the pleasures of older motoring, mine is 1988
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.
Nick

So long and thanks for all the fish

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I love those 80s BMWs. That have a style about them that was very aggressive for the day.

That one looks like it rolled off the assembly line. The paint is amazing.

nickdavy
MCAD Addict

Postby nickdavy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 pm

The paintwork is pretty good although it has a few areas that are a not so good.

I always loved the shape when I was younger and I couldnt afford one so I decided to treat myself, its got 126,000 miles on it but still runs sweet and sounds good too. It only had 2 owners before me so they must have loved it too!
Nick

So long and thanks for all the fish

kellings
MCAD Expert

Postby kellings » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:49 am

nickdavy wrote:That looks in good shape for a 1987, I guess your climate helps.

Not sure on this one. How is rusting down there Sean? I worked for a company that built Industrial playground equipment. We had a lot of problem with the stuff we sent to the coastal areas of Florida. Everything had to be stainless steel and aluminum, and it still rusted or corroded pretty badly.

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Cars hold up well. down here. It's the salt up north that rusts them out. That being said AZ and NM are better climates than FL for cars.

iDS!
MCAD Guru

Postby iDS! » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:29 pm

SeanDotson wrote:It's a 1987 Suzuki Samurai hard top (aka a tin top) which are actually quite rare

...and hard to believe you fit in there...JK ;) ...you could always put an aftermarket sun roof in :)

...that's a great choice for your intent...but why not a Jeep Wrangler...I know there hard to find a good condition...for only couple K...but there are so many out there parts and maintenance are not issues...so might the reason be this Samurai weighs less than a 1980's 4cyl Wrangler?
Steve Robbins
Inventor Design Solutions & Innovations
"I believe in being an innovator " - Walt Disney
@_iDSi

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:34 pm

I looked at Jeeps. Two issues.

1. A lot heavier. The Sami is just over 2000 lbs. I can push it with one hand. Jeeps are 3000-3500 lbs easy.
2. Jeeps in good condition are expensive (relatively speaking). People don;t want to let them go for a song (unlike the Samis)

cbliss
MCAD Expert

Postby cbliss » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 am

Too funny not to share, when I was researching the 0-60 times for another topic, I ran across this; worse cars of all times.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Worst-Cars-Ever-Made.html (#10)
Personally, I think the Samuri is a great choice for your intended purpose.

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:14 pm

10th worst car ever made.. I'm not sure about that... unless they are only taking acceleration into account. They are tough little trucks. As easy to work on as a Beetle too. In fact ran a temp gas line yesterday into the tank to test my theory. Yep, bad pick up tube. So a new tank is on order.

cbliss
MCAD Expert

Postby cbliss » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 pm

If I am not mistaken, they share a lot of parts in common with the Suzuki cars. Not uncommon for them to break 200K miles. The fact that you can get a new tank for a 1987 is a good sign that the car is in demand. I bet it gets really good mileage as well. I think the "worst" rating had something to do with people tipping them over. You don't need to tip them over any more than Suburban owners do.
no avatar

Inventor Productions
MCAD Regular

Postby Inventor Productions » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 am

And when you do tip it over you can just kick it back up the right way. :D
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 pm

My dad had one when I was in high school. I did everything I could to tip it over when we would take it to the sand dunes at the beach. It's harder than it looks. And you're right. Two big guys and you can get it back on 4 wheels pretty easy.
Next