Center Point Rectangle Anyone?

A place to announce and discuss the add-ons/plugins for Autodesk Inventor

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Center Point Rectangle Anyone?

Postby Qube-It » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 am

This is the 3rd release of an add-in that gives Inventor users the ability to create a center point rectangle (among other symmetrical rectangles) inside a sketch environment.

In this release I added the ability to cut off the rectangle command by executing a keyboard shortcut which would start a different command. I also added the ability for the user to choose between the type of user interface they would like to see. Either a drop-down menu or a panel style layout of the tools. All of this can be seen in the video below.

NOTE: UNINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS NEW ONE. You just never know.

I am also (finally) providing a link to the source code on this via Github.

Something to note: The main project in the solution (RectangleTools2010.AddIn.csproj) has a reference to two assemblies that I have written on my own which help me out dealing with iProperties and Inventor events. They are dll files called "InventorDocumentProperties" and "InventorEvents2010". I have open sourced them as well on Github. The "InventorDocumentProperties" project is located here, and the "InventorEvents2010" project is located here. Download the source code, build the project and reference the compiled dll into the RectangleTools2010.AddIn project. Good luck figuring out my mess. :)

Anywhooo... leave your feedback, on this thread and stay classy!

Installer_RectangleTools2010-2012.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.
Last edited by Qube-It on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 am, edited 13 times in total.
Brian Hall
"Good enough" isn't good enough for me.
Follow me on Twitter @Hallmanac

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Re: Center Point Rectangle Anyone?

Postby SeanDotson » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:50 am

Brian, I have upped the file attachment limit. You can now upload the source if you want.

BTW this is a great addin. Autodesk should have added this to the core code YEARS ago...

iDS!
MCAD Guru

Postby iDS! » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 am

Awesome Job Brian!

...and congrats on the Creative Inventor Magazine Newsletter and future Article set to release in August!

You may sign-up for the online magazine here http://teknigroup.com/

:beer:
Steve Robbins
Inventor Design Solutions & Innovations
"I believe in being an innovator " - Walt Disney
@_iDSi
no avatar

mcgyvr
MCAD Contributer

Postby mcgyvr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 pm

GREAT JOB!!!! I'm happy now..almost.. Can you add the ability to add the dimensions during rectangle creation? (just like how 2011 rectangles/circles/lines are with the HUD for entering the dimensions)
If you add that then this will be the perfect add-in. Finally... Of course Autodesk will probably add this ability in 2012.. ;)

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm

mcgyvr wrote:Can you add the ability to add the dimensions during rectangle creation? (just like how 2011 rectangles/circles/lines are with the HUD for entering the dimensions)

Unfortunately, that functionality is not exposed in the API. I asked Autodesk about that and they said that it's definitely somthing they want to add to the API, so I'm hoping that it's in there for next year's release. Of course, like you said, they'll probably have this tool in there anyway next year. :)
Brian Hall

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Here's an installer that I built for XP machines. Since I don't have an XP machine I haven't tested it yet. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

****UPDATE****
Thanks to Tim and Steve I have found that the first installer doesn't work for Inventor 2010 because of the Autodesk.Inventor.Interop assembly I referenced in my code. I was referencing the one for Inventor 2011 which won't work for 2010. I have since changed that reference and built a new installer. The attachment *should* work. Next guinea pig?? :)

****UPDATE****
It appears I have fixed the installer issues for people with Inventor 2010. I have updated the original post above as well as the installer to reflect those fixes. I have confirmed that the new installer works but I'll be ready for anyone who has issues, just in case. I am removing the attached installer for this particular post so that there is only one place to download from to avoid any confusion.
Brian Hall
no avatar

pepper4two
MCAD Lurker

Postby pepper4two » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:35 am

Hello Brian,
thank you for creating this nice little tool for us. I just advertised it in the German Inventor user group and the feedback for your work was very good.

But there is one little thing that some of the users wanted to ask for:

Is it possible for you to compile the installer for using .NET 3.5?

According to what some of the programmers in our forum said you may not need the features of version 4.0 for the add-on so if you compile it for .NET V3.5 or even .NET V3.0 there will be no need for an additional download and installation of the .Net 4.0 framework. As I am no programmer I can only forward this question to you so please provide some feedback on this question.

BTW

We would love to translate the descriptions for you if you want to make it multilingual in your next version

cheers

Matthias
Nihil Ex Nihilo

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Sure, no problem. My default project settings inside Visual Studio 2010 are for .NET 4.0. I'll change that, recompile the installer and update the original post. Thanks for the feedback. :)
Brian Hall
no avatar

pepper4two
MCAD Lurker

Postby pepper4two » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi Brian,
thank you very much for providing the new installer with the "old" 3.5 Framework. I already posted the new link so your going to have some more traffic in the next few hours / days.

cheers

Matthias
Nihil Ex Nihilo

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:32 pm

No problem. :)
Brian Hall

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Ok, Sean. Where did you get that video id for the YouTube video? I searched and searched, but came up short. :)
Brian Hall

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 pm

It's in the URL of the YT link. Everything after the =
no avatar

Barnesmetal
MCAD Contributer

Postby Barnesmetal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Nice Add-in! This will save me some time for sure!
no avatar

vegbruiser
MCAD Lurker

Postby vegbruiser » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi Brian, an excellent addition. :)

Any chance you can post the source code for this - I've been creating an addin suite of tools for future projects and would like to see someone else's implementation of an addin.

Cheers,

Alex.

Qube-It
MCAD Addict

Postby Qube-It » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks Alex. I will be posting the source code when the July/August issue of "The Creative Inventor" magazine comes out. I'll have an article in there detailing the "process" of my add-in. Should be out by mid-August (I think). Here's a link to subscribe (it's free): http://teknigroup.com/
Brian Hall
Next