Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Bummer
no avatar

Areva
MCAD Contributer

Postby Areva » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:26 pm

Hey Jason you're a star, that works a treat for mate reference.

From now on all our fixings are going in the Design Library. I didn't know you could do that. I've always done it the other way since I was trained in 2001. Old habits die hard.

Thanks again.

Eddy
no avatar

Areva
MCAD Contributer

Postby Areva » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:58 pm

Diemaker

On the rare occasions I copy and past acad files into a SW sketch I move the acad dwg to 0,0 before copying. This will bring the sketch in on the SW origin when you paste.

My preferred method, having set the dwg to 0,0 is to open it in SW (open .dwg) this then allows you to set automatic horizontal & vertical line constraints including tangents (I think)

Eddy

gildashard
MCAD Addict

Postby gildashard » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:08 pm

Wow.....I guess take for granted what other Swx users...even long time users often don't realize is available. The Mate Ref feature has been around since 99 or so......and worked the same way...though you used to pull library parts from the old Feature Palette.
Jason
-I don't know if I'm alive and dreaming, or dead and remembering.

"Chuck Norris can speak braille."
no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:09 pm

Areva:
I got something messed up then. An
no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey Donovan,

A couple of years ago I told my shop I was ready to take on 3d work. But when that work started coming I found out I wasn
no avatar

Areva
MCAD Contributer

Postby Areva » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:02 pm

Diemaker

Just to make sure I was not selling you a red Herring I experimented and sketched a rectangle in Acad with the bottom L/H corner on 0,0. It pasted in SW on the origin.
Revisited ACAD and moved the L/H corner to 500,500 from the UCS. It pasted away from the SW origin 500 x 500 so it works for me.

I did drop a diagonal across the rectangle with the 0,0 at its midpoint and it pasted in SW bottom L/H corner on the origin so it appears to work only at the extreme L/H corner of the sketch. A bit flaky as they say.

I know of no way of automatically constraining the pasted sketch entities. Always had to add a constraint(s) afterwards which is why I prefer the open file .dwg method.

HTH
Eddy

gildashard
MCAD Addict

Postby gildashard » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:25 pm

Tools/Relations..Contrain All.....the catch is there can be no relations at all in the sketch all ready.
Jason

no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:15 pm

Jason: SaaaaaWEEEEEeeeet.

Imagine the 2d-3d interpolation when DWGeditor replaces Acad.

Thanks Areva, I got a broken install I think, SW worked ok till I installed IV. Then a number of little problems popped up. But it don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.
no avatar

donovanc
MCAD Expert

Postby donovanc » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:55 pm

Diemaker wrote:Hey Donovan,

A couple of years ago I told my shop I was ready to take on 3d work. But when that work started coming I found out I wasn’t… cause IV wasn’t . Dies are simple as far as engineering goes, but they are very hard modeling wise. Because the parts can be as tough as any molded part, but molded in steps. It’s like a movie film, every station is a different frame. I got to take bits and pieces of the finished imported piece part and individually build the movie. When I switched to SW I quickly found I could do this. Easily.

This year I’ve been flooded with work. And it’s all been wacky shaped stuff that SW does great. So my nose has been buried in SW. And I’m so thrilled how well it’s be going I got to tell someone. It doesn’t seem like Sean minds. So…

No, IV is still in the box. I want to see it but I can’t risk any installs messing my puter right now. Work will slow soon, it always comes in clumps. I feel bad about winning it. I like others thought there would have been a flood and I just wanted to put on a good show.

Now if 1st place was a spacepilot… Sean needs to use his contacts to obtain a freebie spacepilot. 3Dconn. can cough up a freebie for all the advertising Seans given them. afterall they are charging $450 for a $80 mouse. hehe. That will bring a flood of contestants. I would have done more, for sure.

Just was wondering if you had a comparison of them yet. I don't know if it's up to doing your dies yet, I was just wondering if it had gotten close.
Donovan's first rule of Vault installations: The likelyhood of a network installation commiting fubar in a new and unexpected manner increases exponentially with each additional person in a company’s I.T. Dept.

Second rule, make sure that I.T. has applied all necessary service packs to windows, 300 MBs still take awhile to download via High Speed Internet.

Caution, User may not be conscious at the time of posting.
no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Donovan

gildashard
MCAD Addict

Postby gildashard » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:37 pm

You can use an existing hole to start the hole series.....then set the middle and end parts which pull size info from the first hole.

....images deleted to protect the innocent.....
Last edited by gildashard on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:15 pm

....images deleted to protect the innocent.....
ya, YOU. hehe.

In diemakers perfect world, Hole Series first prompt would say
Last edited by Diemaker on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar

donovanc
MCAD Expert

Postby donovanc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Diemaker wrote:Donovan… you’re a problem solver, right? Are you IT? Independent? Or do your work shirts say Autodesk on them? What do your users think about IV?

I work for a VAR in Texas/Ok/LA/AL. You could say I'm a problem solver, but mostly for my customers I do tell Adesk what does and doesn't work for them by calling into the Adesk support center. Oddly enough, I wound up working here on my path to become an Engineer, not as an IT guy.

Diemaker wrote:Well, I tried hole series. Ugh. It’s a assy level feature that derives the sketch then puts in the hole at part level. The sketch is only controlled in assy. It doesn’t use any existing holes. At least the screw is optional. But I’ll never use it. The way SW inferred relations work adding mating holes at the assy level is easy… but still tedious.

IV allows an existing clearance hole to be picked to start it’s “bolt Connection”. But only a clearance hole. And only one hole unless that hole was patterned. It removes the existing hole and puts in a new hole that doesn’t use the standards set up in IV’s normal “hole”. It used it’s own screws, not from the library, and it’s English screws were messed up. If I remember… the connection required the screw, it would not cut just the holes.

Actually in 11, they fixed that. The bolted connection wizard pulls from the content center. When you place a screw in one of the options with "autodrop" after you select the hole is to start the connection wizard.

Diemaker wrote:I just don’t get it. I know the world doesn’t revolve around tooling. (or does it?) but I got lots of holes and putting them in is usually more work than making the blocks they hold. And I’m real sure the way I want it to work would work for everyone. Logopress sells a screw addon for SW they say works right. Anyone use it?

I think that the problem is that too often focus is on the shiny end product(the ipod, the car, the oilfield product) and not so much on the tooling that would do the production of the shiny new stuff.

[/quote]
Donovan's first rule of Vault installations: The likelyhood of a network installation commiting fubar in a new and unexpected manner increases exponentially with each additional person in a company’s I.T. Dept.

Second rule, make sure that I.T. has applied all necessary service packs to windows, 300 MBs still take awhile to download via High Speed Internet.

Caution, User may not be conscious at the time of posting.
no avatar

Diemaker
MCAD Regular

Postby Diemaker » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Donovan, I doubt you
PreviousNext