freakin' lasers

Need help on a design? Stuck with a calculation? Post your engineering questions or tips here.

kellings
MCAD Expert

freakin' lasers

Postby kellings » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 am

Looking into laser scanners to scan large factories to be used in conjunction with Factory Design Suite.

Trying to research these and the companies that make them. Also looking for ballpark costs.

Any info you can provide I would be greatful for.

Todd Hudgins
MCAD Expert

Re: freakin' lasers

Postby Todd Hudgins » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I will be watching this topic also. We have 4 seats of Factory and intend to do up 3 of our plants. The new one was designed in Revit so I should be able to get that one. Our facilities group recently had another one developed in Revit as an as-build for design changes coming up. It will be pretty easy to get the buildings (walls, etc.) it is the mess of pipes up high that would be hard to properly locate.
Todd Hudgins
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools

cbliss
MCAD Expert

Postby cbliss » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 am

kellings wrote:Trying to research these and the companies that make them.
Faro
kellings wrote:Also looking for ballpark costs...
Santa Clara is planning a Ballpark, it is really really expensive, say $1.2 billion. :lol:

kellings
MCAD Expert

Postby kellings » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm

cbliss wrote:Santa Clara is planning a Ballpark, it is really really expensive, say $1.2 billion. :lol:

Groan.......Hey Sean, can we get a rim shot sound that can be played when we read these messages? :wink:

SeanDotson
Forum Admin

Postby SeanDotson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

iDS!
MCAD Guru

Postby iDS! » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:16 pm

...good luck managing all that data! ...might be cheaper to hire CAD monkey's to model it.

...ever work with scanned part files? ...careful the resolution relative to the factory...meaning what are they wanting to get out of this...a 3D Model of the Factory?

I played with some large 3D plant layouts in .dwg of a 10k sq ft machine (FSS USPS Project) that was extremely daunting to work with...Navisworks is a sure bet.

We also assembled entire assembly lines sections consisting of 250,000+ part counts in IV. Strictly for AS BUILT Intent - We managed to strip all constraints from 1000's of iam's and grounded all parts...which levied 35-40% memory capacity to generate larger sections of the machine...even Northrop Grumman was not able to do what we could...and eventually asked how and the hell we managed to it :D Must insert kudos to Sean for the macro ;)
Steve Robbins
Inventor Design Solutions & Innovations
"I believe in being an innovator " - Walt Disney
@_iDSi